Bursting with juicy, sweet cherries, this patriotic dessert will ignite your taste buds and send fireworks of flavor dancing across your palate. Imagine sinking your spoon into a luscious sea of ruby-red cherries, their natural sweetness enhanced by a hint of tangy lemon and a touch of vanilla. As the aroma wafts through your kitchen, you’ll prepare for an epic showdown of textures—a velvety fruit filling blanketed by a golden, buttery crumble topping that’s crisp on the outside and tender within. Brace yourself for a taste sensation that’s sure to leave you cheering for more!
For the Filling:
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×9-inch baking dish or a similar-sized dish and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cherries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Toss everything together until the cherries are evenly coated. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes to allow the cherries to release their juices.
- Pour the cherry mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter to the bowl and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour the boiling water into the crumb mixture and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Drop spoonfuls of the topping mixture evenly over the cherry filling. Leave some gaps for the filling to bubble through.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the cherry filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Remove the cobbler from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
Enjoy your delicious 4th of July Cherry Cobbler!